Servant Doc

Sunday, November 23, 2008

a.k.a. "Lost"

Several months ago a friend of mine gave me Jim Henderson's book a.k.a. "Lost", a book about friendship evangelism. I'm more than halfway through, and really enjoying it. The book gives good insights into how to share Christ with friends in a much more natural, non-threatening way. Appears to be much more in line with how Jesus interacted with others. His approach seems much more doable than other approaches. I particularly like his theme of giving people attention, showing interest in them and what is going on in their lives, which is much-craved in our high-tech, high-speed, low touch culture. This to me is the essence of the love Jesus commands us to show and give to others.

The approach is similar to the principles in CMDA's Saline Solution course, which teaches Christian physicians to share Christ in a respectful, non-threatening way with their patients. I have been able, with God's help, to implement this into my practice to the spiritual benefit of many of my patients. But I have been perplexed as I have tried to bring up spiritual issues with my colleagues- often our conversations have generated more heat than light as their closely and emotionally-held world views clashed with mine. So more recently I have either remained silent or tried to ask questions at appropriate times to help my non-Christian colleagues re-evaluate their worldviews. Yet I have continued to be frustrated that my colleagues, in our current politically-correct culture, can more or less freely express their views, based on their modernist or post-modernist presuppositions, yet it is awkward for me to express mine. I think I will step out and try some of the recommendations of a.k.a. "Lost" to see how they play out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home